24 November, 2007

Winter reading

My summer reading didn't go so well this year. I read a couple of books all summer, very disappointing. My fall reading didn't go so well either. So I'm holding out hope that winter will give me a few afternoons by the fire where I can finally enjoy a good book.

PS (pre-Shel) my favorite Christmas gift was to receive a book (or two) and to spend my 2 weeks holidays reading, the the occasional jaunt out to Starbucks and to the movies. Now it's more likely to be an afternoon of sledding on Murray Hill. Not that we have enough snow yet for sledding, just enough to be a real pain. The husband is an avid rock climber and Shel, who up to this point, has not displayed the least interest in rock climbing, has decided that he wants to give it a try. So maybe if the 2 of them go off rock climbing for a couple of afternoons during the holidays I may get some reading in.

I would like to say that I no longer need to quantify that it needs to be quality reading. I'm just interested in reading something that isn't too light (getting tired of the yummy mommy books), yet not so heavy that I can only get through a couple of pages a sitting.

So in anticipation that I will get some reading time here's either what I'm currently reading, have purchased, or want to read (within a 6 month period).

I am currently reading Exit Ghost by Philip Roth. Just started it, but so far it is excellent and absolutely meeting my requirements.



I am also reading these 2 photography books, which are excellent and I am learning a lot from.





I have purchased the following:



Ok, there is a bit of a trend here, so time to add some more real books to my list. I have also purchased these books and want to read them.



The Linnet Bird I never would have bought if left to my own devices, but the owners of our neighborhood toy store, that also carries an excellent selection of books, would not let me buy another book until I bought this one. They both raved over it. So, I bought it a couple of months> weeks ago and plan to read it over the holidays.



This list looks a little pathetic, so I really need to add another photography book. I'm thinking that "The Art of People Photography" will also be a good one.



And this is an actual book, but about a wonderful photographer that I recently discovered.



So if I can get through this list in the next 6 months I will be happy. BTW all book recommendations are welcome.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm in the middle of a great book that I would highly recommend: Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen. It should meet all of your requirements.

One my favourite photographers is Annie Liebowitz: http://www.nytimes.com/library/photos/leibovitz/contact-sheet.html
If you like Lee Miller you'll probably like Jean Cocteau and Man Ray too. http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~lenin/Jean_Cocteau_Paint.html