25 February, 2009

Raccoon Mom



I now know what I am. I'm a raccoon mom.

Last week after my root canal appointment while I was waiting for the husband to pick me up at the Second Cup, I picked up a copy of The National Post and started reading an article about moms who feel so private time deprived they go without sleep just to get some time to themselves. - Raccoon Moms.

As I read, I couldn't believe it, they were talking about ME! This is how I've been living for years. Well, 7 years to be precise.

The husband has been telling me for....well a long time, that I need to get some sleep, but I always found it hard explaining to people that I feel as if my time is being robbed if I sleep. I find it to be such as waste of time because when the wee man is up I want to be with him, making sure he is getting the best of me, but once he's in bed, it's mommy time!

Once everyone is in bed then I get to "me" things. Things like:
  • Reading the paper (although I have given up my newspaper habit recently and found myself easily reading 3 books a week)
  • Blogging (duh)
  • Watching movies
  • Designing stuff for the etsy shop
  • Finishing up contracts that are long overdue
  • Planning renos
  • Thinking
  • Emailing
  • Just sitting


I could never give this time up, not even for sleep. I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Turns out I'm a raccoon mom too - not the most attractive analogy, if you ask me. My mom used to tell me my bags were so big I could carry my school stuff in them - so that was before kids, imagine what they look llke now!

Maybe I should just wear a Zorro type of mask and let it all hang out? (or hide it, even better).

happy zzzz's.