27 December, 2007

It's all about the food



Let's face it, really, celebrations are about the food. The presents may be important for children, but as an adult what do you spend your time planning and executing? The meals.

Growing up in Nova Scotia I always remember seafood being part of every celebratory meal in some form. We may have had a turkey on Christmas, but we also had salmon (boiled). I haven't had boiled salmon since the last time I spent Christmas in Nova Scotia, but to this day I cannot put embellishments on salmon. Not even lemon, I like to taste the flavor of the fish.

Last Christmas my cousin, Lauren, was living in Montreal (she's studied cooking and I'm sure one day will own her own restaurant) and spent Christmas with us. On Christmas Day she whipped up a mean Nova Scotia seafood chowder. I've eaten a lot of chowders in my time, but this was without a doubt, the best seafood chowder I've ever had. Hmmm, maybe I'll give it a try for Cath and Dan's New Year's Eve party.



The clams boiling in white wine.





No comments: